International programs profoundly affect students, educators, and campuses as a whole. They don’t just produce more diversity in communities but also help make your school stand out as a leader in the area. Here, AMNY Education Marketing provides insights into how international programs help educational institutions thrive and why highlighting them as part of your marketing strategy is essential for enrollment.
Increased College Diversity
International programs yield more cultural diversity on campus, which enriches the overall educational experience. As people engage with their peers they learn from one another, and the college has the chance to support a more diverse student body in many ways. Some of the benefits of increased college diversity include:
- Undergraduate students get the chance to learn about cultural traditions, beliefs, and worldviews outside of their own.
- Professional students can network with peers from across the globe.
- Young people can better prepare to work in a world that’s more interconnected than ever
- Educators can foster productive, collaborative discussions.
- Campuses can challenge preconceived stereotypes, fostering more tolerant and accepting populations.
In terms of marketing capabilities, colleges and universities with international programs can differentiate themselves from others in the area. With greater educational opportunities inside and outside the classroom, more students may apply.
More Educational Events
Student life isn’t just about academics – social engagement is also a big deciding factor in where young people will enroll. This is where study abroad programs help create a more dynamic student experience. Many international students at campuses that welcome a more diverse student body also benefit from inclusive programming. This not only helps students from across the globe feel more comfortable and achieve academically in a new setting, but it also helps domestic students broaden their perspectives. Some examples of diversity programming include:
- Peer mentoring programs
- Cultural events
- Clubs and advocacy groups
- Volunteering opportunities
- Religious services
Highlighting these programs as part of your recruitment marketing campaign helps prospective students see the value in enrolling at your institution. They’ll be able to see that your college or university has the systems in place that they need to feel supported and grow throughout their educational journey.
Benefits Beyond Campus
The benefits of studying abroad are far reaching – and often follow young people along their career path after graduation. Studies show that international programs help students gain an employment edge. Studying abroad for long periods helps learners gain the valuable skills necessary to succeed in today’s workforce, such as:
- Foreign language and communication skills
- Adaptability and curiosity
- Intercultural skills
- Problem-solving skills
- Interpersonal skills
Most colleges and universities offer career services and professional development programs that help students become more likely to secure jobs after graduation, and international programs further support and reinforce these efforts. Promoting them as part of an overarching recruitment marketing strategy helps career-driven students see the value in your school above others with similar programs.
Advertising Your International Pathway
One of the most fundamental ways you can market your international program is to promote it on your website. Dedicating a page that highlights program costs, curriculum, financial aid, and other factors makes it easy for students to find the information they need. The other element to consider is the individual student journey – what is a study abroad experience truly like for any given student? Storytelling is a powerful tool that can be used in several ways. Some approaches include:
- A day in the life: Personal stories that share a day in the life of the average international student help prospects visualize what their own life might be like on campus.
- The student journey: The international program was likely a memorable experience that your alumni haven’t forgotten – ask them to share their experience and how it helped them professionally.
- Share group events: When your school’s diversity and inclusion groups host events, creating an article or blog post makes it easy for prospective students to see the support systems you offer.
- Create video interviews: Storytelling through video helps bring your campus to life – creating one about your programs makes it easy to spread the word across digital channels.
Don’t forget to promote these on your school’s social media platforms. Digital advertising and paid social media marketing make it easy to promote your program and its benefits to specific audiences.
Let Us Help Strengthen Your Enrollment Strategy
At AMNY Education Marketing, our award-winning creative team specializes in crafting education-specific marketing plans for colleges, universities, trade schools, private schools, and more. Contact us today for more information about creating a marketing plan that includes your international program.